Labour and Cooperative candidate for Chells
I graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce Degree from Bangladesh and moved the UK in January 1996. I worked in London, before moving my family to Stevenage in 2004 and have resided in Chells ever since. My daughter studied in Lodge Farm and Nobel School. She is now studying Bio-Medical Science at Royal Holloway University. My son had been on a similar educational journey and currently studies for his A-Levels at Nobel School. My youngest son is a Year 2 pupil at Lodge Farm. My wife is a Civil Servant and works for Department for Education. I am a qualified interpreter and have worked with local government for over 5 years. Whilst this is a paid role, my main driver for this work has always been to support those most in need. I am also a self-employed licenced Taxi Driver in Stevenage. This role has enabled me to understand the diverse nature/need of our community with every customer I serve. I have a natural affinity with my ward and I am passionate about improving the lives of every member of Chells and every ward beyond our boundaries. As an advocate of positive change and making it happen, I have proactively led and volunteer on a number of community projects where my personal impact has been substantial. This includes:
1. Becoming an Executive Board Member of the Stevenage Muslim Community Centre/Central Masjid. As a member, I have developed this role substantially and hope to continue to increase community cohesion across the borough.
2. Volunteering at the Stevenage Citizens Advice Bureau for five years, which has led to countless positive engagements and support.
3. Creating and leading ‘Probashe Probashe’. A non-profit making organisation supporting the Bangladeshi residents of Stevenage. My work has enabled the community to grow, thrive and integrate more effectively.
4. Becoming a member of the Greater London Nabigonj Welfare Association charity. The organisation undertakes charitable work across Bangladesh. I have coordinated the distribution of food and clothes relief. I have also helped to organise medical care, with free eye clinics and temporary medical centres.
5. I am currently undertaking a undergraduate degree on Environmental Studies with The Open University. I am studying from home. I hope the course will help to better develop my understanding of personal responsibility but also enable me to contribute to the borough’s £1bn plan for town centre redevelopment to ensure all the changes are sustainable long term. I believe my background gives me a unique insight and ability that may help unlock the many issues we still have within our community. Stevenage has been an incredible home to me and my family. Please now give me the opportunity to build on foundation we have built together and elect me as your Chells ward councillor.