The Conservatives can’t fix the country’s housing crisis. Labour in Government will.
- Build a million genuinely affordable homes to rent and buy over 10 years, scrapping the Tories’ definition of ‘affordable’ housing and replace it with a new definition linked to local incomes
- Halt the right to buy and give councils the new funding and powers they need to kick-start the biggest council house building programme in nearly 40 years
- Scrap ‘no fault’ evictions, control rents for private renters and give councils new powers to regulate the private rented sector
- End rough sleeping within five years, with a new £100m plan for emergency winter accommodation for every rough sleeper in every area and 8,000 new homes earmarked for those with a history of rough sleeping
- Allow councils to charge a 300% council tax premium on properties that have been empty for more than a year
- Bring in a new Decent Homes 2 standard for all council and housing association homes to make them warm, safe and dry, and fund the retrofitting of sprinklers in all high-rise social housing tower blocks
- Build new homes for ‘living rent’, with rents linked to a third of local incomes, and FirstBuy Homes where mortgage costs are linked to a third of average local incomes
- Create an English Sovereign Land Trust to take the profiteering out of the land market and make more land available at a cheaper price to aid the building of new homes.
- Scrap the punitive bedroom tax
- Introduce a new ‘zero carbon’ homes standard for new homes to reduce emissions and help lower household bills
There’s more in our 2017 housing manifesto, Housing for the Many green paper and New deal for Leasehold’s consultation document:
Labour’s Housing Manifesto, General election 2017: https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Housing-Mini-Manifesto.pdf
Housing for the Many, Labour’s green paper, 2018: https://labour.org.uk/issues/housing-for-the-many/
Labour’s new deal for leaseholders, 2019: http://www.johnhealeymp.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Labours-New-Deal-for-Leaseholders-document.pdf