- Reverse all cuts to legal aid-funded Early Legal Help in first 100 days.
- Launch a fund £20m fund for law centres. “These People’s Law Centres will be run by the community, for the community… I want to see new Law Centres in the heart of our communities. In health centres. In community centres. Working with housing groups. With women’s organisations. Ensuring the law serves not just the privileged few – but everyone.”
- New community lawyer initiative. “Government-funded training contracts for 200 lawyers to serve their communities. A new generation of lawyers using the law to secure justice for the many.”
- Improve access to justice. “I announce that a Labour government’s Constitutional Convention will look at how to give every citizen a constitutional “Right to Justice”, as the Bach Report into Access to Justice calls for.”
- Restore prison officer numbers to 2010 levels.
- Legislate “for a presumption to end ineffective super-short sentences of six months or less for non-violent and non-sexual offences”.
- Extra £20m in funding for women’s centres focussing on rehabilitation.
- Introduce a “Public Accountability Law that would force officials and private companies to come clean about wrongdoing and failures”.